Below are a few of my best writing samples from The Oklahoman, DieHards and OU Daily.
I have plenty of experience writing features and news stories. I’ve also completed several assignments, mainly for The Oklahoman, that have required me to write on deadline.
Some of those assignments have also required me to do both a mainbar and notebook.
For more clips, contact me at email@example.com.
- Manufacturing a Heisman Trophy winner
- Baker Mayfield set to win Heisman, join his heroes in Sooner lore
- Baker Mayfield wins Heisman after making best decision of his life
During my final semester at the University of Oklahoma, I developed an eight-part series detailing the history of the Heisman Trophy at Oklahoma.
The project spanned six months of work and included sourcing from Barry Switzer, Bob Stoops, Lincoln Riley, Steve Owens, Billy Sims, Jason White, Sam Bradford and Baker Mayfield.
The first linked article, “Manufacturing a Heisman Trophy winner,” outlines the growing trend of Heisman Trophy presentations on TV. It also was the national winner for online sports reporting in the 2017 Mark of Excellence Awards
The second article, which took first place in sports writing in the 2017 Mark of Excellence Awards for Region 8 (Oklahoma, Texas), is a profile of former Oklahoma quarterback Baker Mayfield ahead of the 2017 Heisman Trophy ceremony.
The third article was written the night of Mayfield’s Heisman win following the ceremony.
- High school wrestling: Mustang’s Picklo brothers bask in special moment
- High school baseball: Landon Le comes up clutch in Union City win over Stonewall
- High school football: Millwood rallies to beat Christian Heritage
During my time at The Oklahoman, I assisted with preps coverage for football, basketball, wrestling and baseball. I’m comfortable with both writing game stories, as well as recording my own statistics.
- Oklahoma State recruiting: 2 defensive linemen round out Cowboys’ next class
- Energy FC notebook: Oklahoma City spoils Lamar Batista’s homecoming
The first linked article is one of several weekly notebooks I produced for Cox Media Group on DieHards.com. I was responsible for Oklahoma State football recruiting coverage.
The second article is from my time at The Oklahoman, where I regularly assisted with OKC Energy FC coverage.